Vancouver and some other styles and journals require the use of abbreviated journal titles. However, not all databases provide the required abbreviated journal title in their citations. For EndNote to do this automatically you need to import the Medical journals list into your EndNote library. This list is based on the Index Medicus/Medline/NLM abbreviations. It is strongly recommended that you delete all terms in your existing journals term list prior to importing the Medical journals list:
To delete existing terms:
- Open your EndNote library
- Go to Tools > Open Term Lists > Journals
- Select all the titles (use Ctrl + A shortcut in Windows to select all)
- Click on Delete Term.
- Close the Term Lists dialogue box. rsg
To import the the Medical journals list:
- Go to Tools > Define Term Lists
- Highlight Journals
- Click Import List
- Navigate to the Medical.txt:
On your home PC - C:\Program Files\EndNote X6\Terms Lists\Medical.txt Then Open > OK > Close
On your home Mac - Applications\EndNote X6\Terms Then Choose > OK > Close
At KEMH - C:\Program Files\DoH\EndNote X6\Terms Lists\Medical.txt Then Open > OK > Close
To check the configuration of the output style using the term list:
- Click on Edit > Output Styles > Open Style Manager
- Highlight the style you are using
- Click Edit.
- When the edit window opens click on Jounal Names on the left hand side. ic
- The above screen will appear. Select the required option e.g.Abbreviation 2 and Abbreviate journal articles only.
- Close the window (the second x) and save as a copy. You will need to select this copy of the style. In EndNote use the Style drop down menu. If it does not appear click Select Another Style > and choose your style.
Note: Check the specific abbreviation requirements of the journal to which you are submitting under 'instructions for authors' (some listed in the Reference Style Guides box top left):
- Abbreviation 1 - gives the Index Medicus/Medline/NLM abbreviations with the addition of stops after each abbreviation.
- Abbreviation 2 - gives the Index Medicus/Medline/NLM abbreviations.
- Abbreviation 3 - includes the full title with 'and' as an ampersand.
- Don't Replace - EndNote will ignore the journals term list & use whatever appears in the journal field of the references.
- A journals term list is specific to that particular EndNote library. If you have more than one library you will need to create a journals term list for each.
If you experience difficulties saving your copy see the Note in Downloading output styles into EndNote box or the EndNote FAQ: Problems saving styles