1. Highlight the reference
2. Right click > Find Reference Updates.
3. EndNote will highlight the differences in a side by side comparison.
4. You can choose to Update Empty Feilds only, Update All Fields or copy & paste select information.
1. Highlight the reference you want to edit.
2. Select the PDF & Quick Edit tab in the bottom pane in EndNote X5 (Reference tab in EndNote X6 on). Alternatively, double click on the reference to open in the complete window.
Searching your library
Sorting your library
Marking and rating references in your library
Find and Compare Duplicates
1. In EndNote click References > Find Duplicates
2. EndNote will present 2 references at a time to compare with any fields that differ highlighted.
3. Scroll to compare > click Keep This Record button above the reference you want.
NOTE: If you have more than one duplicate for a reference you will only be presented with 2 references each time (e.g. initially presented with duplicates 1 and 2 , you discard 2 and you will then be presented with duplicates 1 and 3).
Deleting Multiple Duplicates Simultaneously
1. Click References > Find Duplicates
2. The same window will appear. Instead of choosing which reference to keep click Cancel
3. A temporary Duplicate References folder will appear with all but one of each duplicate reference highlighted.
4. In the EndNote toolbar click References > Move References to Trash. The highlighted references will be discarded.
5. Records are compared only by primary author, publication year and title - the highlighted references may have extra content (e.g. PDF attached, URL) that you prefer to the citation chosen by EndNote. To change the reference selected for keeping hold down Ctrl key (or Cmmd on a Mac) and toggle the selection.
Automatically Discard Duplicates
1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Duplicates
2. Tick Automatically Discard Duplicates > OK
WARNING: As above, the new duplicate reference may have preferred fields to one already in your library - use this preference with caution
Setting preferences for your library display fields
will allow you to change the name of its set display fields that appear in the library window.